Before Your Procedure
Please follow these guidelines and your physicians’ instructions before your procedure to ensure that your procedure goes smoothly. Failure to follow these instructions may result in your procedure being cancelled:
- If there is any change in your physical condition, such as cough or fever, notify your physician before coming to the surgery center.
- If no one has contacted you 24 hours before your procedure, please call Herndon Surgery Center for specific information.
- If you wear contact lenses or glasses, please bring a case for their safekeeping during your procedure.
- You will be instructed to not eat or drink anything for a specified time before your procedure. Follow these instructions carefully.
- Carefully follow your physician office or the pre-op nurse instructions regarding which medications to stop or continue taking prior to your procedure.
- A nurse will be calling you prior to your scheduled procedure day to gather information about your medical history and medications.
The Day of Your Procedure
Please follow these guidelines carefully to ensure that your procedure may proceed as planned.
- It is your responsibility to arrange in advance for a responsible adult to drive you home after your procedure and remain with you for the first 24 hours. You will be receiving sedation for your procedure and it is not safe for you to drive afterwards.
- A person of your choosing may stay with you in the preparation area if you wish. They will be asked to wait in the lobby during your procedure. They will be asked to join you in the recovery area after your procedure, so they can hear your discharge instructions, and your physician will inform them of the results of your procedure if you wish.
- Please bathe or shower prior to your procedure. Do not use lotions or oils after bathing.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and comfortable, securely fastened shoes.
- Leave all valuables at home. We cannot be responsible for damaged or lost property
- Bring your insurance cards and photo ID with you
After Your Procedure
- For 24 hours after your procedure do not: drive, drink alcohol, operate machinery, engage in any activity requiring you to be highly alert or coordinated, sign any legal paper work, or make significant decisions.
- You will be given written instructions for your care at home before you leave the surgery center, follow them carefully.
- If you have any questions or problems, please contact your physician’s office.
- A Herndon Surgery Center nurse will call you a day or two after your procedure to see how you are doing and to answer any additional questions you may have.